This classic banana bread recipe was passed down to me by Trey’s grandmother, Anne Porter. It is simple, but fabulous! This recipe is delicious plain, but can easily be tailored to your taste by adding nuts, chocolate chips, or raisins. Chocolate chips are a personal favorite at my house!
This is the original recipe written down in Grandma Porter’s handwriting. I can’t wait to pass this down to my daughter one day from her great grandmother!
Here’s what the banana bread batter should look like right before placing in the oven. I like to use a loaf pan but I have also made this in in a 9×13 pan to have them shaped like brownies.
- 1 cup sugar⠀
- 1/2 cup butter ⠀
- 2 eggs ⠀
- 3 *ripe* bananas ⠀
- 1 tsp baking soda level ⠀
- 1 1/2 cups flour⠀
- 1/4 tsp salt ⠀
- 1 tsp vanilla extract⠀
- 1 cup nuts (optional) walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a large bowl, mix together room temperature butter & sugar
- Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until combined
- Slowly mix in flour
- In separate bowl, beat together bananas, salt, baking soda and nuts (and/or chocolate chips)
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture & stir
- Pour into greased or buttered loaf pan⠀
- Bake for 1 hour
Let me know if you try it! I would genuinely love to hear from you!
Thanks so much for reading, XO- Lo